Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Core Switches WS-6509-E with Cisco Catalyst C9500-16X-A

hafeezali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Currently I am using WS-6509-E switches running VSS technology as collapsed core connected with 10 Distribution switches 3850. I have all VLANs configured on this Core switches and is a pure switched network with trunks ports configured between Core to Distribution to Access. There is around 100 SVIs configured and around 500 routes advertised through OSPF.

Since I have only limited uplinks, I am planning it to replace it with C9500-16X-A switch using SWV technology. I would like to know if the new switches is good enough as a replacement to the modular one.

The new switches has better performance in comparison to the features and specifications of an existing one.

Regards,

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need consider below Points before you Move to 9500

1. is the 9500 model you choosed is good enough to replace exiting one

2. have you consider future requirement adding more switches to this core ?

3. make sure you have purchased right License to meet the to Build SVL

4. i have done same kind of migration few.

here is my experience.

1. Build new Cat 9500 SVL

2. Do the offline test fail over to get hand on familiar with SVL technology

3. Connect in parallel with exiting network

4. make cut over plan

5. Move Least effected distribution switch to new Cat 9500 - and keep Montor those area and any issues reported

6. i would expect monitor week or so to see no issue reported before you move other distribution switches.

7. Once it proven couple of distribution working with out any issue

8. move rest all switch to new Core.

9. Leave old core for some time, switch off 1 at a time from network, and decom and remove.

10. Always keep Monitor new device Load and performance.

Note : i would expect to replace with Cat 96XX but look at the cost model work for you? thenCat 9600 good replacement here.

if you looking to go with Cat 9500, look for more port density since Core is heart of network, you can can get chance to repalce over and over again.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

hafeezali
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your comment.

The idea behind this migration is to prepare the new switches as Fusion Node for future SDA deployment.

Since there is will be new deployment of SDA solution in near future, there will be new C9606 switches running as Border Node and all the current distribution layer switches C3850 will be moved to the new deployment with incremental migration.

So in final there will be no more uplink port in use except for Layer 3 connectivity with Border Node as Fusion Router. But then the survivability of the existing network is required to route with new network.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure if you looking to deploy GeeenField deployment, it required some time before you test all working as expected from end user.

i would suggest some good presentaion from Live - if you have access to view

BRKCRS-2830

image.pngimage.png

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card