cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing member switch

BHconsultants88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I hope someone can help me with this.

I have two switches, one master and one member (both Cisco 3750). One of them has died on me and needs replacing. Is it a case of simply copying the configuration of the working switch and applying it to the new 3750? Do I need to specify which is master and which is member?

Also, is there best practice when it comes to replacing a dead switch in such a setup? Should the main one be powered off?

Thank you in advance

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Before adding the new switch to the existing stack, make sure it has the same IOS as the active/master switch.

follow this link to add the switch

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html#anc16

HTH

HI @BHconsultants88

As one of member working fine and other one got faulty, in this case you're configuration already there,no need to configure new switch.

So make sure new switch should have same IOS image and replace with faulty one with out any configuration I meant default config once it's connected with existing one it will take the confirmation from master switch.

"Show switch" command will help you to see the priority of member switces

If you wants new switch should become Master than you need to change the priority.

Hope response helpful to you

BR

Tayyab

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

Thank you for the response Tayyab. So just to confirm, once I have updated the IOS on the replacement member 3750 switch, I can connect it to the stack with blank configuration - is that right.

Also, would I need to assign the priority. Currently the main switch has priority 15. On this replacement, should I use the following command before connecting to stack? I want the new switch to be member.

switch 1 priority 1

Thank you for your assistance.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card