cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset a 2960X to Factory

RyanBr
Level 1
Level 1

I am unable to successfully use the method where you hold down the mode button.

So, I go to CLI and erase the config.text and vlan.dat files. and then use reload command.

It asks me if I want to save:  None of the insturctions tell me what to do.  I chose yes.

When switch reboots, all info is still there.

7 Replies 7

MandeepDeol
Level 1
Level 1
This example shows how to reset a switch running Cisco IOS Software to factory defaults with the write erase command:

Cat2960# write erase
Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]y[OK]
Erase of nvram: complete
Cat2960#
Cat2960# reload

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: n

!--- Do not save the configuration at this prompt. Otherwise, the switch !--- reloads with the current running configuration and does not reset to default.
Proceed with reload? [confirm]y

That worked.  Thank you Mandeep.

Hello,

For a 2960-X connected though USB cable, in my case, I see : 

prompt is  ">"

I push the "MODE" button during many seconds (around 5 , then 10 and then 30 seconds)

but nothing happen..

I also try to power on the switch, and push "MODE" button ...

nothing happen too.

The "enable" password is lost.

I just see the secret value of "enable" (it's encrypted) inside a very old configuration file.

Then, I don't know how to reset this switch .

Can you help me ?

Regards,

Then,

I write "login"

and write the credentials ...

and I'm connected without the secret enable, with prompt "#" ...

Hello
Power of the switch, press the mode button for 20 seconds or until SYS led goes solid and release mode button, you should then be in rommon mode.

Then:

flash_init
load_helper
rename flash:config.text flash:configOLD.text
boot

once switch restarts
rename flash:configOLD.text flash:config.text
copy flash:config.text system:running-config
<change the access credentials)
copy run start

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I have tried this procedure at least ten times and the switch just goes ahead and boots up with not going to ROMMON. It says when booting that password recovery mechanism is enabled.

I had the same issue just now in attempting to get into a 2960X switch. What I did was hold the mode button until it went solid green and pressed the mode button again (just once) before it finished initializing the flash and it worked finally after multiple attempts and failing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: