Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch

Enrique Soto M
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

What would be the best way to reset / configure this switch?

I have tried the reset procedure shown here (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/45383-express-setup.html#trbl6) but even after reboot the switch would only work on a 192.168.0.x subnet. If I connect it to a different one it won´t take / deliver a valid address.

Thanks in advance.

Enrique Soto.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You will need to either configure spanning tree to match the other switch you are connected to or disable them both. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Colby Collier
Level 5
Level 5

You will have to configure the switch via console cable and apply the address scheme that corresponds to your network on the switch. 

I have the cable and serial port on my PC.Used putty but connection screen did not show any prompt character..Was I missing something?

Where could I find instructions as to what commands to type in order to set the right address range?

Thank you.

I've reset the config and accessed switch over terminal.
It remains the same though. While still connected via the terminal I get this error message in the same network where I had the problem before:

03:56:20: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/16, changed state to up

03:56:20: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk FastEthernet0/16 VLAN1.

03:56:20: %SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking FastEthernet0/16 on VLAN0001. Inconsistent ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have any idea what might be causing this error?

Thank you.

Post a copy of the config.

Here is the Config:
-----

Current configuration : 1213 bytes
!
version 12.1
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname ct2950
!
enable secret 5 xx
enable password xx
!
ip subnet-zero
!
!
spanning-tree mode pvst
no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
!

interface FastEthernet0/1
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
!
interface Vlan1
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 shutdown
!
ip http server
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
 password xx
 login
line vty 5 15
 password xx
 login
!
!
end

____
End of Config.

NOTE:
IT Dept. of this rented offices indicated me some time ago to disable Spanning Tree option on the CISCO SF200-48 switch whose network I'm trying to connect this other switch to.

Thanks again.

Try this:

no spanning-tree mode pvst

Done. But again got errors.

04:38:13: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk FastEthernet0/9 VLAN1.
04:38:13: %SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking FastEthernet0/9 on VLAN0001. Inconsistent port type.

Do you think BPDU Filter will help with this?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/45136/importance-bpdu-guard-and-bpdu-filter

Thanks.

You will need to either configure spanning tree to match the other switch you are connected to or disable them both. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: