cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting Switch 2 of a former 3850 Stack - Help needed

Cormac Champion
Level 1
Level 1

I have broken a 2 switch stack and now they are two individual units.  But switch 2 still appears to be a switch 2 with interfaces Gi2/0/xx.  If I use the no switch 2 provision ws-c3850-24p command, I get "Error: A switch is already physically present at this location".

How can I reset this switch back to a standalone switch without it needing to be re-connected to the original switch 1 (which I don't have access to)

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

should be able to do the renumber as standalone, we have to do it on any we pull out of a stack. I believe you do it in enable, but not config t.

Test#show switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : b090.7e1b.8d80 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active b090.7e1b.8d80 1 V02 Ready

Test#sw
Test#switch 1 ren
Test#switch 1 renumber ?
<1-16> New number of the Switch

Test#switch 1 renumber 2

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware is the stack running on? 

I am trying to determine if this is a hardware issue or a software bug. 

If the stack is cabled with two stacking cables, the theory about a hardware issue is out the door.

It's on Version 16.9.5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
But in my post, i said it is NO LONGER STACKED.  It is a standalone switch with an identity of "switch 2".

All I want to do is WIPE it completely and essentially get it back to factory defaults. 

Do you have the firmware in a USB stick?

Can do
So just re-flash it ?  How can I flash and wipe out the old settings, rather than upgrading it ?

@Cormac Champion wrote:
Can do
So just re-flash it ?  How can I flash and wipe out the old settings, rather than upgrading it ?

No, invoke "factory-reset all" and it will erase everything in the flash. 

Use the "emergency-install usbflash0:filename.bin" to put all the packages back in.

from a previous stack, you should be able to do switch 2 renumber 1 and after a reboot it should be switch 1 and you can then remove the provision if it still exists. you should not need to rejoin it to the stack at all.

The renumber option is not coming up - as I said, it's now standalone

should be able to do the renumber as standalone, we have to do it on any we pull out of a stack. I believe you do it in enable, but not config t.

Test#show switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : b090.7e1b.8d80 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active b090.7e1b.8d80 1 V02 Ready

Test#sw
Test#switch 1 ren
Test#switch 1 renumber ?
<1-16> New number of the Switch

Test#switch 1 renumber 2

Cormac Champion
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks @Dustin Anderson that was where I was going wrong.  All sorted

And for reference, doing a "factory-reset all" did NOT change the switch number despite it wiping out everything else

Cormac Champion
Level 1
Level 1

Not a big deal, but anyone know as to how to fully logically remove the fact that it was part of a stack ?  It's renumbered OK now, but it still "thinks" that it has other members

CormacChampion_0-1664564056055.png

Now running Version 16.12.7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Cisco released 16.12.8 last week.  This is a PSIRT-only release.

Cormac Champion
Level 1
Level 1

URGENT New Issue @Leo Laohoo 
I have added my config and saved, and following a reboot, all is OK
BUT
If I power OFF the switch, and power it back on again, all of the config is lost.  I obviously need to do some final step after doing the "emergency-install"

It also still seems to think it's in a stack !!!

@Cormac Champion wrote:
If I power OFF the switch, and power it back on again, all of the config is lost.

In enable mode, post the complete output to the following command: 

1. sh boot
  2. sh romvar

So, it seems like the boot variable may be set, you can try:

no system ignore startupconfig switch all

Not sure if that is why it is ignoring config.

As for the stack, you should be able to no provision switch 2 now that it is renumbered to switch 1.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card