cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting Switch 2 of a former 3850 Stack - Help needed

Cormac Champion
Level 1
Level 1

I have broken a 2 switch stack and now they are two individual units.  But switch 2 still appears to be a switch 2 with interfaces Gi2/0/xx.  If I use the no switch 2 provision ws-c3850-24p command, I get "Error: A switch is already physically present at this location".

How can I reset this switch back to a standalone switch without it needing to be re-connected to the original switch 1 (which I don't have access to)

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

should be able to do the renumber as standalone, we have to do it on any we pull out of a stack. I believe you do it in enable, but not config t.

Test#show switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : b090.7e1b.8d80 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active b090.7e1b.8d80 1 V02 Ready

Test#sw
Test#switch 1 ren
Test#switch 1 renumber ?
<1-16> New number of the Switch

Test#switch 1 renumber 2

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware is the stack running on? 

I am trying to determine if this is a hardware issue or a software bug. 

If the stack is cabled with two stacking cables, the theory about a hardware issue is out the door.

It's on Version 16.9.5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
But in my post, i said it is NO LONGER STACKED.  It is a standalone switch with an identity of "switch 2".

All I want to do is WIPE it completely and essentially get it back to factory defaults. 

Do you have the firmware in a USB stick?

Can do
So just re-flash it ?  How can I flash and wipe out the old settings, rather than upgrading it ?

@Cormac Champion wrote:
Can do
So just re-flash it ?  How can I flash and wipe out the old settings, rather than upgrading it ?

No, invoke "factory-reset all" and it will erase everything in the flash. 

Use the "emergency-install usbflash0:filename.bin" to put all the packages back in.

from a previous stack, you should be able to do switch 2 renumber 1 and after a reboot it should be switch 1 and you can then remove the provision if it still exists. you should not need to rejoin it to the stack at all.

The renumber option is not coming up - as I said, it's now standalone

should be able to do the renumber as standalone, we have to do it on any we pull out of a stack. I believe you do it in enable, but not config t.

Test#show switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : b090.7e1b.8d80 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active b090.7e1b.8d80 1 V02 Ready

Test#sw
Test#switch 1 ren
Test#switch 1 renumber ?
<1-16> New number of the Switch

Test#switch 1 renumber 2

Cormac Champion
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks @Dustin Anderson that was where I was going wrong.  All sorted

And for reference, doing a "factory-reset all" did NOT change the switch number despite it wiping out everything else

Cormac Champion
Level 1
Level 1

Not a big deal, but anyone know as to how to fully logically remove the fact that it was part of a stack ?  It's renumbered OK now, but it still "thinks" that it has other members

CormacChampion_0-1664564056055.png

Now running Version 16.12.7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Cisco released 16.12.8 last week.  This is a PSIRT-only release.

Cormac Champion
Level 1
Level 1

URGENT New Issue @Leo Laohoo 
I have added my config and saved, and following a reboot, all is OK
BUT
If I power OFF the switch, and power it back on again, all of the config is lost.  I obviously need to do some final step after doing the "emergency-install"

It also still seems to think it's in a stack !!!

@Cormac Champion wrote:
If I power OFF the switch, and power it back on again, all of the config is lost.

In enable mode, post the complete output to the following command: 

1. sh boot
  2. sh romvar

So, it seems like the boot variable may be set, you can try:

no system ignore startupconfig switch all

Not sure if that is why it is ignoring config.

As for the stack, you should be able to no provision switch 2 now that it is renumbered to switch 1.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card