cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resticted PC with layer3 ACL or Other option

keithatwood
Level 1
Level 1

I've got the following scenario (image attached).

each site has a Vlan for Restricted PC's. These PC's should have access to their own site file server and printers. I don't want them to access anyone else's site, except for DNS lookups and AD login into a virtual DC.

I realize I could let the layer3 switch handle the ACL, but the downside is that if they want to access a file off a server at their own site, they would need to route 1st through the layer 3 to get back to their own server. Not really a problem since the inter-site links are 1000mbps fiber, but if a line was cut, they would loose connectivity to their own files.

The other option was to set static IP's for these restricted PC's in the same VLAN/Subnet as their file server and then create an ACL on the layer3, but then I need to restrict NIC permissions and manually add users. I'd rather let DHCP assign them an IP.

I'm looking for some other optinos based on the equipment in place.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

keithatwood
Level 1
Level 1

Here's my thoughts, since the switches at the edge are layer2 only, the restricted PC's must reside within the same subnet as their server, meaning same VLAN.

The only other option I see is some sort of intersite port restriction, which I'm not sure if the Cisco Small business switch will do... kinda like PVLAN

Thoughts?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card