cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

restoring Nexus N7K configuration from failed hardware (copy and paste method)

Desmond Lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have entered the command "show running-config vdc all" and logged the configs to a text file via putty.

how do I restore the config for all the VDCs back on a new replacement switch ?

Can I login to the default admin VDC and copy and paste the contents to it, save and reload the switch ?

Or is there any other alternative method ?

Thanks,

Desmond

4 Replies 4

ADP_89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Desmond,

You can copy paste the previously taken config but I wouldn't recommend it. The reason is that if the config is lenghty you might loose some bits here and there due to buffer reasons. 

The best thing is to bring un the 7K and transfer the text file with the old config. To tranfer it you can either do it via usb pen drive or via tftp/ftp/scp once you assigned an IP to the management interface.

Once you have the file on the bootflash you can run the following command: "copy bootflash:your_config_file_name running-config echo-commands "

With this method you can see each command applied to the cli and eventually spot the errors.

Once done save the config so the nexus can create the binary file for the startup.

HTH,

ADP

Hi ADP,

how about the template that have the resources allocation in it ?  The resource template file ?

Do I need to restore that too ?

And lastly, not related to the issue - can I have seperate management IP for each seperate VDC ? or is the management IP common to the whole chassis ?

Thanks

When you restore the configuration, the vDC and allocation resource will be automatically in the configuration.

You can have your own management IP for each vDC, but for Management of  resource allocation you need to in admin context.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

thanks BB.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card