Helpful
Replies

RF -> LAN

lkomarci
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

how can I do the following in terms of port/VLAN management and configuration:

• On one end satellite RF (talking about TVRO specifically) is adapted to digital signal via coax to ethernet converter.
  • On the other end there's a LAN socket where I want to connect my TV to stream the signal from the satellite dish.
  • Can I stab the converter via RJ45 directly to a distribution switchport and connect another empty switchport to the port on the patchfield that leads to the LAN socket where the TV is connected to? Is it enough to just put both of the ports on the switch on the same VLAN to get the networking part done?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You should be able to put both the TV and the PC you want to stream within in the same vlan or whatever default vlan that comes with the switch. This way, it is all part of the same LAN filed and there is no need for multiple vlans, routing, etc.. 

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You should be able to put both the TV and the PC you want to stream within in the same vlan or whatever default vlan that comes with the switch. This way, it is all part of the same LAN filed and there is no need for multiple vlans, routing, etc.. 

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card