Views
Helpful
Replies

ROM Upgrade necessary?

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Dear Community,

I have a 4510R+E that is utilizing 2x Sup 7E. The sups are currently running a very old IOS XE version  03.02.05.SG and ROM version 15.0(1r)SG5. When attempting to upgrade to 03.08.06E I noticed that the supervisors would not see eachother when upgrading the standby supervisor. This is most liley due to the fact that the other sup was still running the older software. After reading the release notes, the release notes for 3.8.6 state that I must upgrade the ROM to SG10 or better, however, when I pulled one of the Sups and booted the upgraded sup, it seemed to boot fine. My question is this: If the Sup seems to boot and operate fine on SG5, is there any risk to NOT upgrading the ROM to SG10? The reason I ask is because when attempting to donwload the SG10 ROM image, it said I needed an "Additional Entitlement" to do so. 

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If the ROM is incompatible with the version of IOS you are trying to load, you will not be able to load it. I recommend upgrading the ROM ahead of time and be ready to upgrade the IOS.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If the release notes is indicating that you need ROM: 15.1(1r)SG10, I would upgrade to that first before loading 3.8.6.

If you have a support contract getting "Additional Entitlement" should not be an issue.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'd recommend upgrading the ROMmon.

Thank you Reza/Leo,

Im assuming if I gamble and dont upgrade the ROMmon it could potentially cause some system instability if I try running the new code on the old ROMmon version?

Hi,

If the ROM is incompatible with the version of IOS you are trying to load, you will not be able to load it. I recommend upgrading the ROM ahead of time and be ready to upgrade the IOS.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco