loadprog: error - on file open
boot: cannot load "flash:"

------------------------------

And:

Initializing ATA monitor library.......
boot: cannot determine first executable file name on device "flash:"

I've found other discussions about this problem, but I don't want to make a mistake (I don't know ROMMON).

On these discussions, I don't find if it's possible to make more tests trying to know what is really the problem (and so the right solution).

I've an other 1841 router to make tests if necessary.

Thanks for all.

Best regards.

Some others data:

-------------------------------

1841 Router

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
PLD version 0x10
GIO ASIC version 0x127
c1841 processor with 131072 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

-------------------------------

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok so sounds as if your card is gone/corrupted , once there failed there useless , but you can pick one up cheap online , 1 card between 2 routers will still keep you up and running for now until the spare comes as they only need it to bootup, so once the routers stay up your good for now , obviously if your backing up configs to flash or doing anything else with them your at a loss until you have 2 cards again

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Can you see the contents of flash ? is there only 1 image in the flash or multiple

image may have gotten corrupted or flash is gone whihc does happen but not too often

Try below to see if you can see flash ,if it works try then boot flash:.....image name

dir flash:

------------------------

rommon 1 > dir flash:
program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xc100

Initializing ATA monitor library.......
Directory of flash:

rommon 2 >

------------------------

The flash seems to be empty... Is it right ?

Thank you for your answer. Really.

hi

take the external flash from the spare router it wont effect it unless it powers off and pop it in the faulty router and reboot the router ,if its working then your flash mybe gone  , may have to buy a new external flash card ,there cheap anyway

I've extract the card from the other router.

With this card, the router is booting without problem.

The card seems to be out of order ?

It's not possible to copy a "good" file in the bad card ?

Thanks for all.

Ok so sounds as if your card is gone/corrupted , once there failed there useless , but you can pick one up cheap online , 1 card between 2 routers will still keep you up and running for now until the spare comes as they only need it to bootup, so once the routers stay up your good for now , obviously if your backing up configs to flash or doing anything else with them your at a loss until you have 2 cards again

Thanks.

I will boot so the "bad" router with the good card, and by a new card.

Thanks for all.

Best regards.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Boucherle wrote:

boot: cannot determine first executable file name on device "flash:"

The error message means the CF is unable to read contents of the CF.  Either the CF is faulty, corrupt or formatted differently. 

Go to your friendly electronics shop and get various CF with sizes up to 16 Gb (don't get anything larger).  Use the router to format the CF.  If the router can format the CF, chances are the CF can be used on the router. 

IMPORTANT:  Once the router is finally going, upgrade the ROMmon immediately.  Upgrading the ROMmon provides added benefit of booting an IOS using USB.

I finally found au card reader in a PC in my society.

I put the "bad" card in te card reader, the PC (Win 10) read the card, and 15 seconds after, I see what is in the "bad" card: two files, and one with a "bad" name: statup (without "r"). I don't remember the extension of this file. Sorry.

I rename this file "startup"(with a "r"), put off the card, and put it in the router.

It has started without any problem.

Thanks for all.

Best regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: