Views
Helpful
Replies

Rommon not compatible with IOS version

nathan_anan24
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have 2 unit of WS-C4500X using VSS. Currently we are using version 3.8.7E. However we never upgrade the ROMMON to compatible version which is 15.0(1r)SG11. 

I would like to know what will be the impact if i never upgrade the rommon. Can i do ISSU upgrade for Rommon. 

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rommon 15.0(1r)SG11 and IOS 03.06.00.E.152-2.E.bin with VSS with no issues.

As how to upgrade Rommon, follow this link. It should be the same for both 4500 and 4500x.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_24829.html#pgfId-178803

Upgrade Process  Best and proven upgrade many cases ( if possible i will be stay away from ISSU Upgrade)

If a chassis has dual-supervisor then it probably means it's very important. Upgrading the IOS is easy on a 4500: 

1. Copy the IOS to the primary supervisor engine; 

2. Copy the IOS to the secondary supervisor engine; 

3. Change the boot variable string;

NOTE: Erase ALL the old boot variable string, put the new one pointing to the new IOS file, put another one pointing to the old IOS.

4.  Check the config-registry is 0x2102; 

5.  Save the config; and

OPTIONAL:  Export the config out of the chassis.

6. Reboot. 

Make sure you read the Release Notes carefully. There are cases where before the new IOS can be loaded a ROMmon upgrade is mandatory.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can i do ISSU upgrade for Rommon

No, ISSU upgrade only works on IOS and not Rommon.

I would like to know what will be the impact if i never upgrade the Rommon.

There is no impact if you are not upgrading. Usually, if you are upgrading the IOS and there is a requirement to upgrade the Rommon, you can't move forward with the IOS upgrade until you upgrade Rommon first.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@nathan_anan24 wrote:

I would like to know what will be the impact if i never upgrade the rommon.

What is the current version of the ROMmon?  In some cases, the line card will "reject" the IOS-XE unless the ROMmon gets upgraded first. 

ISSU or FSU/eFSU is not everyone's "cup of tea":  It may work for some.  And if it (ISSU or FSU/eFSU) doesn't work then we recommend the "old fashion" method: 

1. Copy the IOS from the TFTP to the active supervisor card; 
  2. Copy the IOS from the TFTP to the secondary supervisor card; 
  3. Check the MD5 hash value against the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website (they need to match); 
  4. Check and make sure the config-registry value is correct:  0x2102;
  5. Change the boot variable string to point to the new IOS-XE filename; 
  6. Amend or add boot variable string to point to the old IOS (in case #5 fails to boot the new IOS-XE); 
  7. Save the config; and
  8. Reboot.

If you haven't tried using ISSU or FSU/eFSU, make sure there is someone physically near one of the units.  One of the most common behavriour of ISSU or FSU/eFSU going wrong is when neither one of the units want to be active (I call it "ping-pong").  When this happens, just power down any one of the two and the VSS should stabilize.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card