Views
Helpful
Replies

Root Bridge ID - Spanning Tree Newbie - Avoid Loop

Ranbeckycr_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have an Extremely Old switch that I need to connect to my network.  Because it is so old I don't want it to become the Root Switch.

Can anyone tell me what is the command to change the priority. (Honestly I don't remember if it has to be a lower number 1 or a higher number ). Always get that mixed up.

I've read about root guard, but I would like to prevent it manually. (It is a small network after all)

It is a Cisco 2950.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Randall,

Use the following command in your switch global configuration mode:

spanning-tree vlan 1-4094 priority 61440

The root is the switch with the lowest priority setting, and the value indicated here (61440) is the highest configurable value. All other switches should therefore be more preferred.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Randall,

Use the following command in your switch global configuration mode:

spanning-tree vlan 1-4094 priority 61440

The root is the switch with the lowest priority setting, and the value indicated here (61440) is the highest configurable value. All other switches should therefore be more preferred.

Best regards,

Peter

Hey Peter, thank you very much for the fast response!  Rating of 5 for speed and accuracy.

Hi Randall,

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card