cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Root Ports

_bmal
Level 1
Level 1

I'm doing a lab on STP. The topology has 2 switches with a redundant up-link between them and 2 servers (one connected to each switch)

Some questions asked were:

What is the function of a root port? So far I've only managed to find that it's the port a switch chooses for its best path to the root switch.

Why can't there be more than one root port for a switch? I think it might be because there can only be one "best" path to the root switch

Why does one switch not have a root port? After issuing the show spanning-tree command on both switches, only one of them has a root port. Why is this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What is the function of a root port? So far I've only managed to find that it's the port a switch chooses for its best path to the root switch.

Ans: Root Port is a single selected port on a Switch, other than Root Switch, with the least Path Cost to reach the Root Bridge. 

Why can't there be more than one root port for a switch? I think it might be because there can only be one "best" path to the root switch

Ans: If there will two root port then it will root cause of the Layer 2 loop in the network.

Why does one switch not have a root port? After issuing the show spanning-tree command on both switches, only one of them has a root port. Why is this?

Ans: All the ports on a Root Bridge (Root Switch) are Designated Port and there is no Root Port on a Root Bridge (Root Switch). So one switch is not showing any root port.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

Hello

@_bmal wrote:

I'm doing a lab on STP. The topology has 2 switches with a redundant up-link between them and 2 servers (one connected to each switch)

What is the function of a root port? So far I've only managed to find that it's the port a switch chooses for its best path to the root switch.

correct 

Why can't there be more than one root port for a switch? I think it might be because there can only be one "best" path to the root switch

It can have root ports all depends  if a switch is acting as the stp root for all vlans or certain vlans and of course what stp mode is running (pvst) as an example 

Why does one switch not have a root port? After issuing the show spanning-tree command on both switches, only one of them has a root port. Why is this?

thats because in your case that switch is the stp root for all vlans but in certain environments a stp root switch can be also be served an stp root so in that case it will also have root ports towards a stp root for the vlans its not a stp root

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is the good description to understand how spanning tree root election and root port.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/stp-root-port-vs-designated-port/m-p/1517842

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What is the function of a root port? So far I've only managed to find that it's the port a switch chooses for its best path to the root switch.

Ans: Root Port is a single selected port on a Switch, other than Root Switch, with the least Path Cost to reach the Root Bridge. 

Why can't there be more than one root port for a switch? I think it might be because there can only be one "best" path to the root switch

Ans: If there will two root port then it will root cause of the Layer 2 loop in the network.

Why does one switch not have a root port? After issuing the show spanning-tree command on both switches, only one of them has a root port. Why is this?

Ans: All the ports on a Root Bridge (Root Switch) are Designated Port and there is no Root Port on a Root Bridge (Root Switch). So one switch is not showing any root port.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hello

@_bmal wrote:

correct 

It can have root ports all depends  if a switch is acting as the stp root for all vlans or certain vlans and of course what stp mode is running (pvst) as an example 

thats because in your case that switch is the stp root for all vlans but in certain environments a stp root switch can be also be served an stp root so in that case it will also have root ports towards a stp root for the vlans its not a stp root

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card