cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routed ports on switch in same subnet?

J Sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

I have two routers in a VRRP config going to the internet.  Trying to do all L3 services in a switch stack (Cisco 3750G x2).  Issue is getting two ports in the stack on the same subnet so I can route to the virtual IP for the router pair in VRRP.  Everything works if I have just one port in the subnet.  As soon as I try to add a second port on the switch to the subnet it errors out.  Makes sense since I understood that you can't add two L3 ports on the same device to the same subnet.  Is there another way around this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, the static route from the Internet routers point to the vlan IP address which is the Ubiquiti switch.

Then all you need is a default route on the Ubiquiti switch pointing to the VRRP virtual IP (172.24.10.1).

Cisco switches are just layer-2.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just keep the ports from the 3750G in layer-2 (access ports) and put them in a vlan. These links will also server as the heartbeat links for your VRRP since there is no connections between the 2 Internet routers.

HTH

Then just set the static routes on the routers to the VLAN IP?

Correct, the static route from the Internet routers point to the vlan IP address which is the Ubiquiti switch.

Then all you need is a default route on the Ubiquiti switch pointing to the VRRP virtual IP (172.24.10.1).

Cisco switches are just layer-2.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card