cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router acting as a DHCP server vs external DHCP server

a.manosca
Level 4
Level 4

I have a router configured as a dhcp server. At the same time, the interface which the user comes in is also configured to relay dhcp request to external DHCP server. But there are times that the client is getting an IP address from the external DHCP server instead from the router. I know that the request is broadcast but shouldn't the fastest reply comes from the router itself and not from the external DHCP server? Thanks.

3 Replies 3

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

Router might be overwhelmed, or fast the switch packts instead of actulay ygenerating a DHCP reply.

but of course best way to be 100% sure is to sniff and compare time stamps.

HTH

Sam

possible..thanks sam...

Depends. The fastest reply is not going to come always from the router [I might be wrong because it depends]. If at a givin point of time the router is already processing the dhcp requestes from multiple clients as well as doing the regular stuff, the fastest trply for certain clients might come from the external server as well.

The poing is if the router is not able to process the dhcp request faster than the external server because its busy, clients might get ip from the external server.

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card