cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router config back up to ftp

OneCiscoGuy
Level 1
Level 1

i'm not able to do a back up of router 2600 to ftp server, receiving an error saying 'no such user'.

here's what i'm seeing:

RT1#copy running-config ftp
Address or name of remote host []? 10.12.1.3
Destination filename [rt1-confg]?
%Error opening ftp://10.12.1.3/rt1-confg (No such user)

the ftp server is winXP with MS IIS FTP server.

the funny thing is that i'm able to back up the switch configuration in the same network to this server, but cannot do so for the router.

- ping from the router to the ftp server is ok

- ping from the ftp server to the router is ok

- ping from any machine in the network to this ftp server is ok

- i've configured the 'ip ftp user and the password' in the router (as i have it in the ftp server)

the routers ip address is 10.0.0.28

what could be wrong here? somebody help!

8 Replies 8

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Can you tell me which FTP applications you are using over there? also did you check the message you are getting on the FTP server which would help to solve this one.

regds

Hi,

I don't see any extension in the file you're trying to retrieve from MS FTP server- is it normal?

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

to both of the previous responses:

first

About the FTP server, this was identified in the original post:

the ftp server is winXP with MS IIS FTP server

second:

I do not think that the FTP server would care about file extension. And I have frequently gotten device configs on my XP PC with names formatted exactly like this -confg.

And even if there were some issue with file extension, why would the error message complain about user name?

to the original poster:

Can you check the switch for which FTP does work and see if it specifies a user name for FTP?

I frequently back up configs using FTP. In my experience you have a couple of options about how to set that up:

- you configure a user name (and password) in the device config

- you specify the user name (and password) in the ftp command when you copy the file.

My guess is that the switch does have the user name configured and the router does not.

Can you check and let us know about this possibility?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Richard,

About the FTP server, this was identified in the original post:

the ftp server is winXP with MS IIS FTP server

That was not a question of mine

do not think that the FTP server would care about file extension. And I have frequently gotten device configs on my XP PC with names formatted exactly like this -confg.

And even if there were some issue with file extension, why would the error message comapain about user name?

I totally agree with you my remark was totally stupid and useless but these days I tend to make some silly mistakes like this a lot

I should be sleeping more 

Regards.

Alain.

sorry guys, i've been away on a different project for days now........

Can you tell me which FTP applications you are using over there? also did you check the message you are getting on the FTP server which would help to solve this one

- the FTP app is Microsoft IIS FTP server on winXP

- there is no message of any kind that displays on the ftp server

Can you check the switch for which FTP does work and see if it specifies a user name for FTP?

i did set up the switch myself, and there is no user configured in it (reason: i basically manage it via the console which does not require a user)

I frequently back up configs using FTP. In my experience you have a couple of options about how to set that up

is this MS IIS FTP server?

- you configure a user name (and password) in the device config

i clearly did this on the router

- you specify the user name (and password) in the ftp command when you copy the file.

i clearly did this as well on the router when issuing the command

thanks guys in advance....

Hello !

At first, I'll try to do an FTP file save from a PC to the FTP server you intend to use with the router.

If, by using the ftp user and ftp password you gave to therouter's config file it works, it may be that you made a typo entering the ftp user and/or ftp password in the router's config file. (I had trouble finding this myself as sometimes control caracters, especially backspaces, are embeded in the line you type. This make spotting the typo error more difficult... I was once told during a troubleshooting Cisco class "Don't trust your eyes")

Don't ask why I know this ;-)

Last but not least, look at thearchive IOS command.

thanks, but i FTPed from a number of other workstations to the ftp server, all of them connected with no problem

Hi,

can you do a debug ip ftp please.

Regards.

Alain.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card