cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router died - temporary solution with layer 3 switch?

eto-my-Icon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

We are going to be without a router for a week, I'm wondering how to route the traffic using my existing 3560G switch until the new router arrives.

model = WS-C3560G-48TS  SW version = 12.2 (35) SE5    SW image = C3650-IPBASE-M

I have an internet connection provided by dhcp.

i setup a new vlan because i want to leave the configuration of the existing setup as intact as possible.

how do I configure a port on the switch so I can patch the internet source and have my new vlan route traffic out.

gi0/10 - internet connection in. (provided by dhcp from external source). 10.103.3.xxx

vlan 14 - new vlan 

ip address 172.16.16.16  255.255.255.0

gi0/20 - pc on vlan 14

gi0/21 - pc on vlan 14

gi0/22 - pc on vlan 14

gi0/23 - pc on vlan 14

if anyone can tell me how to configure the relevant ports or even point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

thanks

jim

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The problem is a switch cant do NAT , you need a router for that to break out  to the internet if your planning on connecting the internet circuit to the switch

ipbase can do basic routing statics , stub eigrp etc but without NAT you cant get to the internet , the switch wont know how to translate private to public addresses

View solution in original post

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

As Mark says, the switch cannot do NAT which rules out plugging the internet connection into the switch.

In order to access the internet, you need a router which has an ethernet WAN port for your internet connection and is capable of configuring static routes as you have multiple IP ranges.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The problem is a switch cant do NAT , you need a router for that to break out  to the internet if your planning on connecting the internet circuit to the switch

ipbase can do basic routing statics , stub eigrp etc but without NAT you cant get to the internet , the switch wont know how to translate private to public addresses

Perhaps you can configure ports 20,21,22,23 as switchports and then put these ports on the relevant vlan(eg. vlan 14). You can enable "ip routing " on the switch and the put a default route as the next hop of the internet interface ip address( eg. if 10.103.3.1 is the ip assigned to gi0/10 and 10.103.3.2 is the next hop, then "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.103.3.2"

Regards,

Rikshit

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

As Mark says, the switch cannot do NAT which rules out plugging the internet connection into the switch.

In order to access the internet, you need a router which has an ethernet WAN port for your internet connection and is capable of configuring static routes as you have multiple IP ranges.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card