router eigrp parameter

alan-wong
Level 1
Level 1

Dear

router eigrp 1

passive-interface fastethernet0/0

eigrp stub connected

May I know what is the function for "eigrp stub connected"?  I "debug eigrp packet hello", it can still see hello packet send and received. 

If I applied "passive-interface fastethernet0/0", I can see NO more hello packet send and receive from fastethernet0/0                    

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute_eigrp/command/reference/ire_s1.html#wp1059226

This is used in adress-family mode and the distance is the reputability of the route( 0 is connected and 255 is non installable), the distance is used here to modify the default of 5 for the discard route pointing to null0 so that it is less prefered tha another default route( static default is 1).

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Hi,

so. to set the summary-metric mean we can adjust the priority of EIGRP route?

No it means we are statically setting the metric of the summary route instead of letting be the default which is the lowest metric of the routes comprised in that summary and we change the AD  if we want to.

may i know when is the route going Active?  is meaing someone pinging that inactive router to become active?

A route goes active when the successor route is lost and there is no feasible successor so the router is querying the other routers for a route for this prefix to install by sending them query messages.

To prevent SIA(Stuck in Active) routes we can limit the query domain and one way of doing this is by using the EIGRP stub feature on stub routers.

Regards

Alain

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

a stub router is a non transit router so it won't be sent  EIGRP Queries in case of a route going Active and in your case it will only advertise connected routes provided they are comprised in a network statement.

In EIGRP a passive interface won't run EIGRP as it will not send or receive hellos.

Regards

Alain

may i know when is the route going Active?  is meaing someone pinging that inactive router to become active?

alan-wong
Level 1
Level 1

also

What is the function of router eigrp "summary-metric" and "distance"?

router eigrp 1

summary-metric 192.168.212.0/24 distance 100

Hi,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute_eigrp/command/reference/ire_s1.html#wp1059226

This is used in adress-family mode and the distance is the reputability of the route( 0 is connected and 255 is non installable), the distance is used here to modify the default of 5 for the discard route pointing to null0 so that it is less prefered tha another default route( static default is 1).

Regards

Alain

Hi,

No it means we are statically setting the metric of the summary route instead of letting be the default which is the lowest metric of the routes comprised in that summary and we change the AD  if we want to.

A route goes active when the successor route is lost and there is no feasible successor so the router is querying the other routers for a route for this prefix to install by sending them query messages.

To prevent SIA(Stuck in Active) routes we can limit the query domain and one way of doing this is by using the EIGRP stub feature on stub routers.

Regards

Alain

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card