Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Interface Cards - Routing Feature

Syed Farhan Ali
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Team,

I have a Cisco 3945 Router and have all the slots available with me. The interface card that I am looking for should have the same functionality as HWIC-2FE.

I need a 4 or 8 port Routed Ethernet Card. I looked for "VWIC3-4MFT-T1/E1" interface card as I was unable to find 8 port card.

Please let me know if this card can be used as a Routed Interface Card (I need to terminate different ISP Links on this card).

Regards,

Farhan.

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Believe the module you mention provides serial ports, not Ethernet ports.  Also believe it supports routing.

Higher density Ethernet cards often support routing via VLANs (you can dedicate a VLAN per port), but not as routed ports.

What you also do, if you have VLAN capable switch, use subinterfaces on a router port to a trunk port on the switch.

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for your response.

Is there a 4 port or 8 port routed ethernet interface supported on Cisco3945 Router (just like HWIC-2FE)?

Regards,

Farhan

No there is not - you have to go with 2 or 4 x HWIC-2FE depending on your requirements...

Card which you mentioned is for ISDN T1/E1 circuits...

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Ok. I have two options in mind:

1) If I go for a EHWIC Card (Switch Ports) and configure interface vlan on them, will I able to terminate the ISP Links on them?

2) Is NM-8CE1T1-PRI Card providing WAN Connectivity on the Cisco 3945 router so I can terminate ISP links on them?

Regards,

Farhan.

1) could work but it's not meant for that - WAN side to ISP

2) Depends what are you terminating - if it's ISDN PRI then you could but I think you are not going to use that...

Stick with HWIC-2FE and you are fine...

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card