cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router logs

Manu Shankar
Level 1
Level 1

May I know y am getting the "." at the starting of the last four lines ?

Nov 17 04:39:20: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to up
Nov 17 04:39:23: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to up
Nov 17 04:39:46: %PIM-5-NBRCHG: neighbor 152.xx.xx.xx UP on interface Serial0(vrf default)
Nov 17 04:40:18: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 152.xx.xx.xx  Up
Nov 17 05:23:39: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to down
Nov 17 05:23:39: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 152.xx.xx.xx  Down Interface flap
Nov 17 05:23:39: %PIM-5-NBRCHG: neighbor 152.xx.xx.xx  DOWN on interface Serial0 (vrf default) non DR
Nov 17 05:23:40: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to down
.Nov 17 05:42:27: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to up
.Nov 17 05:42:30: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to up
.Nov 17 05:42:50: %PIM-5-NBRCHG: neighbor 152.xx.xx.xx  UP on interface Serial0 (vrf default)
.Nov 17 05:42:52: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 152.xx.xx.xx  Up

6 Replies 6

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

It is stating that your serial0 link is flapping and bgp running on this link goes down as a result.

Please make sure sure serial0 link is stable and check for its stability

Regards

Mahesh

Thanks Mahesh. I undesrstood that. But my question is why "dot" coming infront of the last four lines only ?

Regards
Manu

The 'dot' in front of the message timestamp indicates the router/switch clock is out of sync.  Are you using an NTP server?  If so the router hasn't yet synced up with the NTP server.  A 'show ntp associations' at the time you are getting these messages will reveal this.

Chris

Hi chris,

Do you have any link to cisco doc. which state meaning of dot or star. I have read somewhere that star sign meaning

ntp is not synchronised.

Anyway i appreciate if you share link

Regards

Mahesh

Mahesh,

It's more difficult than I anticipated to find a reference for the 'dot' preceding a message timestamp.

You may find the following:

"Cisco IOS uses a special convention for time prefixes to indicate the accuracy of the time stamp. If dot character appears before the date, it means that the local time was synchronized at some point via NTP, but currently no NTP servers are available. The asterisk character in front of the date means that the local time is not authoritative, i.e. NTP servers are not setup."

At this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/managed_services/ServErrMess.html

Chris

Chris is absolutely right about the dot indicating that NTP is not in sync.

And if you look at the log messages it becomes quite clear.

First lets us look at this log message and notice that there is no dot. So there is connectivity to outside and NTP is in sync.

Nov 17 05:23:40: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to down

Note that the log message is telling that the serial interface which provides outside connectivity just went down.

19 minutes go by with no outside connectivity and sync with NTP is lost. So the next log message does have the dot
.Nov 17 05:42:27: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to up

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card