cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router not saving configuration

bHubTel1610c
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1711 Catalyst router hooked up behind a cable modem.  I configured the router, copied running-config to startup-config then wrote it to memory with "write mem".  I unplugged router to move it and when I plugged it back in, I had to start from scratch.

Is this normal, or should router be able to save configuration if powered down?

BTW, I'm using Putty to access router console.  Is that the hot setup for Windows 7 or is there something better?

Thanks!

-Bruce

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

What is your conifguration register set to?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

I believe you want this:

Router#configure terminal

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#config

Router(config)#config-register 0x2102

Router(config)#end

Been alittle while since I read up on that.  Let us know how it works. The article is helpful also.

Message was edited by: Jimmy Sands

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

More than likely it is the config register.  Your config did not dissappear  it was still there but the config register was set to load a blank default config, someone may have done a password recovery or something previously , like the previous poster said change it to 0x2102  and make sure you have the correct boot statement.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

What is your conifguration register set to?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

I believe you want this:

Router#configure terminal

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#config

Router(config)#config-register 0x2102

Router(config)#end

Been alittle while since I read up on that.  Let us know how it works. The article is helpful also.

Message was edited by: Jimmy Sands

Thank you! 

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

More than likely it is the config register.  Your config did not dissappear  it was still there but the config register was set to load a blank default config, someone may have done a password recovery or something previously , like the previous poster said change it to 0x2102  and make sure you have the correct boot statement.

Glenn;

What is "correct boot statement"?

bHubTel1610c
Level 1
Level 1

Jimmy;

That was what the problem was.  Once I configure the memory, it now saves it if it loses power.

Thanks for your help.

-Bruce

Glad to help, thanks for the update and glad you got it working.

markanderson
Level 1
Level 1

Some of your router's memory is dedicated to saving your router's settings. That's why, if the power goes out or your router is turned off, it'll have the same configuration when you restart it.

Below are the steps to set up the router in your house to maximise performance & minimise security risks.(
(i). Change the default password. ...
(ii). Change the default IP address. ...
(iii). Set the DHCP server mode to disable. ...
(iv). Set up the wireless network. ...
(v). Set the wireless channel. ...
(vi). Disable the Wireless SSID broadcast. ...
(vii). Enable the WPS or SES mode.

Whatever router you choose to buy won't affect the original speed of the internet coming into your home. These are two separate things, so don't expect much faster download and upload speeds. The true benefit of a new router comes with having better coverage.
Choosing a new router can be a daunting task: there are thousands of brands and models to choose from. If you’re looking to buy a new router, simply explore the many options available at Alta Technologies Inc.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card