cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing DNS through VLANs on Catalyst 3750

wolfunr04
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am hoping someone might be able to help with a issue I am having. I implemented a Catalyst 3750 Layer 3 switch which connects to 8 other Cisco switches all layer 2. This is in a hub and spoke topology right now. I have VLANs 1,10,20,30,40,50 and all of them route fine, if I am on VLAN 20 I can talk to all other VLANs and this is recursive on all VLANs.

The issue is, if I am on VLAN 1 I can receive DNS ping requests from all resources on the network. If I am on another VLAN I can't get requests back. I am able to ping the interface at the IP level but not by name. I have tried entering the IP Name Servers, IP domain-lookup, ip domain name etc...on the 3750 but to no luck.

So the question is, how can I get DNS ping requests to route through the VLANs?

Thanks for the help!

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott,

The issue is, if I am on VLAN 1 I can receive DNS ping requests from all  resources on the network. If I am on another VLAN I can't get requests  back. I am able to ping the interface at the IP level but not by name. I  have tried entering the IP Name Servers, IP domain-lookup, ip domain  name etc...on the 3750 but to no luck.

I apologize but this description is not very precise and I am having trouble understanding what works, what not, under what circumstances and what exactly are you doing to test the connectivity.

Can you perhaps post a transcript of the session where you type in the commands that produce either a successful or unsuccessful result? Seeing that would be most helpful.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card