Helpful
Replies

Routing from a VLAN does not work for specific destination

Wajma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the following situation:

2 VLANs on the same switch(cisco 3560E)  VLAN 30 (10.111.81.0/24) and VLAN 40 (10.111.80.0/24)

I have a static route on the switch that forwards all traffic destined to 10.111.0.0/16 to Router C

I am able to ping a host in the destination for example 10.111.83.250 from vlan 30

but I am not able to ping the same host from vlan 40.

both VLANs are configured Identically I have verified the setup.

any feedback will be much appreciated.

8 Replies 8

Hello,

where is the inter-Vlan routing configured, on the switch or the router ?

thank you for the response, routing configured on the router 3560E

Both VLANs can communicate to each other, when the traffic is destined to go to different router, one of the VLAN traffic fails

Hello,

post the full configurations of the switch and the router...

I am attaching the configuration for c3560 routing switch and the access switch 3560cx and a diagram, thank you for looking into this.

Edwin Portillo
Spotlight
Spotlight

My friend,
Add a dynamic protocol for communication like EIGR between the two VLANs and redistribute the statistical path:

router eigrp 1
network 10.111.81.0
network 10.111.80.0
redistribute static

Also connected to the SWITCH that has the VLAN must be a router for routing: router on a stick

thank you for the response, it is the Cisco 3560E with routing enabled.

Both VLANs can communicate to each other, when the traffic is destined to go to different router, one of the VLAN traffic fails

As far as I can see you are not exchanging routes with the third party so you need to check with them what routes they have ie. do they have routes for both your subnets pointing back to your 3560 switch. 

Jon

Thank you for the response, that is what I thought also and I wanted another set of eyes to look at my configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card