Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Jumbo MTU packets with ASR1002 router

pweinhold
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a requirement to route Jumbo MTU packets for a customer. This customer currently connects to us via a 3750 switch. We found out that a 3750 wouldn't route Jumbo packets, so now we want to swap that 3750 switch out for an ASR1002 router. Our understanding was that an ASR router would route Jumbo packets. However, I'm now testing the router in a lab and I can't figure out how to configure that on the router. For example, when I try to set the MTU on an interface on the router, it only gives me the option of going up to 1500 bytes. See the following output:

Router_B(config)#int gi 0/0/0

Router_B(config-if)#ip mtu ?

<68-1500>  MTU (bytes)

Is there some global config to allow for a Jumbo MTU size?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cminton_ERS
Level 1
Level 1

try

config t 

int gi0/0/0

mtu  ?

-i know from switching side some of the newer blades we ordered on the 6509s didnt allow the jumbo mtu option, we have to use our old blades to set mtu higher than 1500, i am not sure on the ASRs

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cminton_ERS
Level 1
Level 1

try

config t 

int gi0/0/0

mtu  ?

-i know from switching side some of the newer blades we ordered on the 6509s didnt allow the jumbo mtu option, we have to use our old blades to set mtu higher than 1500, i am not sure on the ASRs

HTH

That did it! It was "mtu" instead of "ip mtu". See here:

Router_B(config)#int gi 0/0/0

Router_B(config-if)#mtu ?

<1500-9216>  MTU size in bytes

Thanks very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card