Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing mDNS (bonjour)

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have a pretty tricky scenario that I need help with. I have several Cisco wireless networks all on their own separate VLAN's in their own subnets. We recently deployed several Apple TV devices throughout our campus for our iPad users to connect to. The Apple TV's are connected to their own wireless network but that WLAN is assigned the same interface as our "main" wireless network (because it cannot do EAP authentication). The users who are on the "main" WLAN with their iPads can see the Apple TV devices (via bonjour) that are on that network because they share the same address space, but the users who are on the different WLAN's that are on different subnets cannot see those devices. We do not want the other users on the other WLAN but still want them to be able to see the Apple TV devices on that other wlan. Is there a way to route the bonjour traffic so that users on different subnets can see the Apple TV devices on the other subnet?

I read that bonjour uses mDNS and that it uses the UDP multicast IP address 224.0.0.251.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris.

1 Reply 1

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

WOW! Nevermind! I just found this!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24187

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card