cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing table question

RobDunkley
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sure this not the place to ask but I'm having trouble finding the correct group.

We have Cisco 1921 routers that a provider is using for MPLS.  They have it configured so that all internet trafic is passed to an internal ip address that is our proxy server.  However, they are pushing all of the routing rules down to the workstation which is causing the local route tables to grow to be massive in a very short time.

For example, the second I ping a website, the ip address is resolved and then the route is added for the source ip address with the default gateway of the proxy server.

Is this normal?  I would have thought that all the rules would have been handled by the router and let it keep the table entries.

Thanks for any help you can offer.         

2 Replies 2

sivai2tech
Level 1
Level 1

Rob,

Where do you see the routing table growing? Does the route entry expire if there is no communication to that destination for a while?

Thx!

~S

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

There is a proxy on the network and all policies are pushed to the workstations, in the config of the router default route of the WAN traffic is pointed to the proxy?  Is this correct?

Is the proxy sitting inline or is the config using wccp?

As far as route added to routing table what do you mean?  Routing table on router?  What type of routing protocol are you running?  Static, BGP

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card