Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing VRF Nexus 7700

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I just configure the 7700, I have the vrf management , I see that my routes are going out via that vrf.  My question is,

should I create a new a vrf ?

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,Im just creating static routes but was not sure if I had to add them to the mgmt vrf o where.thanks.

Hello,

As suggested, Are you asking for static route confgiration for any data traffic or for any specifc VRF . If yes then you can configire the same under VRF. If not you just want to know about Managemnt VRF then you can drop a default route in Management VRF towards you Management VLAN SVI under your core switch ( If you have in your setup).

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate Helpful Posts

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hello,

Are you talking about the keep-alive link between two 7700s? If yes, using VRF managment is fine.

Masoud

Hi all,

Im adding static routes,  but not inside any vrf context, should I add them to the default?

thanks.!

hi, if you create static routes not inside the vrf, that means you put in default VRF.

in most deployment, we use management vrf just for OOB management ie ssh/telnet, ntp, AAA, vpc keepalive.

what do you want to accomplish here?

Hi,

Im just creating static routes but was not sure if I had to add them to the mgmt vrf o where.

thanks.

Hi,Im just creating static routes but was not sure if I had to add them to the mgmt vrf o where.thanks.

Hello,

As suggested, Are you asking for static route confgiration for any data traffic or for any specifc VRF . If yes then you can configire the same under VRF. If not you just want to know about Managemnt VRF then you can drop a default route in Management VRF towards you Management VLAN SVI under your core switch ( If you have in your setup).

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate Helpful Posts

Hello,

Nexus series have two VRFs. One is for managment which is called managment VRF and other is default. The default VRF is similar to the global routing table concept in Cisco IOS. All interfaces are in Default VRF by default. If you do not specify any VRF in you route command, it goes to Default VRF(=global routing table).

If you are just adding static route for normal traffic, you do not need to specify any VRF. By default, it goes to default VRF.

Just make sure your next hop is reachable in the routing table.(make sure you have not placed that interface in Managment VRF)

Masoud

Hi all,Im adding static routes,  but not inside any vrf context, should I add them to the default?thanks.!

Hello,

As stated, If you are not adding static route under any VRF then those routes will fall under default VRF ( Global routing table).

But what exactly you want to achive, the actual query was about Mgmt VRF routing.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

On the Nexus series, by default the managment interface is in a VRF to keep, but this stricly for managment and not your data plane.  You don't need to create another VRF, you can simply use the global routing table for your data plane.

HTH

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi all,I just configure the 7700, I have the vrf management , I see that my routes are going out via that vrf.  My question is,should I create a new a vrf ?thanks!1139

Hello ,

Management VRF design deployment in Nexus family is to separate management traffic from other data traffic in more secure way, As suggested in certain deployment vPC peer link are used under Management VRF for connectivity.

If you are not designing this device for multiple customer then you can go with global routing table confogirtaion, If you want to use considering future requirement then i would recommend to seggragate from start by configuring VRF based on customer tag.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card