cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing without PBR

larnelhight
Level 1
Level 1

Using a 3750 switch(no ipservices) Does anyone know of a way to route traffic for a specific vlan or network without the use of PBR?

I have a default route pointing to my MPLS for all traffic.  I need to send traffic in a certain vlan towards a cable internet circuit that is attached to the switch.

My 3750 layer 3 switch handles all of the routing, but does NOT have an ios supporting ipservices.  This removes PBR from the picture to my knowledge.  

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Larnel

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Larnel

PBR would be the typical solution for this. It that is not a possibility I wonder if you could put that vlan into a VRF and configure an appropriate route for that VRF that is different from your normal default route.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Good idea, but VRF requires ip services as well from what I can tell.

Thanks

I think VRFs do need IPServices as well.

Does this vlan also need access to the other vlans on the 3750 ?

I'm going to assume it does. If so, and I hesitate to suggest this as it is not particularly elegant, you would need to bounce the traffic of either the MPLS  router (assuming there is one) or the cable modem.

If you do haven MPLS router it would need it's internal interface in the same vlan as the cable  modem. Then you could send all traffic to the MPLS router but have PBR to send the traffic for that particular vlan to the cable modem.

I suspect the MPLS router is not in the same vlan but it might be. Also I have seen issues with sending traffic back out of the same interface it arrived on with PBR so it may or may not work.

The advantage of this is that traffic to other internal vlans is still routed by the switch.

The main disadvantage is that you may well not want the MPLS and cable modem in the same vlan and you may have issues getting the PBR to work.

The other option is to place the internal interface of the cable modem in the specific vlan and then set the default gateway of the clients to the cable modem IP. You would then need to add route(s) to the cable modem for the other internal vlans.

The main issue with this is that all traffic for that specific vlan is now routed on the cable modem first  including traffic that is for other internal vlans. If there is a lot of it your cable modem is now a bottleneck and it may not be able to handle that much traffic.

Like I say neither solution is particularly good and it may be better to just upgrade your license but they are possible options.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card