Helpful
Replies

RSPAN Layer 3 Interface

anthonykahwati
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Can anyone shed some light here pelase.

I was looking through some old configurations that I have done for RSPAN and I notice that I created a layer 3 interface for the RSPAN VLAN and shut it down but I can't remember why!

Does anyone know, if on a 3750, or any other switch, there is a reason to have the Layer 3 interface for the RSPAN VLAN, even if it is shut down?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

2 Replies 2

leesutcliffe
Level 1
Level 1

To my knowledge you can't have RSPAN on a layer three interface, you'd need to use ERSPAN to encapsulate the layer two SPAN frames in a GRE packet to traverse a L3 link. This isn't available on the 3750 switches

Hi Lee

Thanks for the response, however, I am aware that it is not a L3 technology, I was more wondering if there is some reasoning behind having a L3 interface configured, even if it doesnt have an IP address and is shut down. All I know it that I configured one ages ago and cant remember if I left legacy config on there or if I did it for a reason. All of the documentation that I have found suggests that it was probably unused config rather than for any reason. I'm just seeing if anyone can confirm whether there is any need for it or not?

Thanks again

Anthony

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card