Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN

Jim Kerr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have 3 separate access switches (2960XR) with different vlans on them. These 3 switches have layer 2 connectivity to a Cisco 3850-12S switch.

If I set up 3 separate monitor sessions (1 on each of the 3 access switches) and mark the desitination as an RSPAN vlan will it allow me to copy the source traffic from each switch vlan to the one RSPAN vlan (ie aggregating a copy of the traffic from the source vlans to the one destination RSPAN Vlan) ?

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Not exactly : The RSPAN traffic from the source ports or VLANs is copied into the RSPAN VLAN and forwarded over trunk ports carrying the RSPAN VLAN to a destination session monitoring the RSPAN VLAN. Each RSPAN source switch must have either ports or VLANs as RSPAN sources. The destination is always a physical port.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

ok so if i do something like the following would this work ?:

switch1

Monitor session 1 source vlan 10

Monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 100

switch2

Monitor session 1 source vlan 20

Switch3

Monitor session 1 source vlan 30

Switch4

Vlan 100

Name RSPANvlan

Remote-span

Monitor session 1 destination interface gix/x/x

Make you VLAN 100 created all switches and allowed in the port-channel or trunk to carry the traffic.

here is reference guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swspan.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card