Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP network diameter

michel.prevost
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

I am in front of a situation that make me search for the maximum network diameter that rapid spanning tree can allow. I saw many topic talking about standard STP that allow by default a network diameter of 7 switches. Some talk about MST, but I didnt find any thing realy clear about maximum network diameter of RSTP. 

Can someone help me with that and explain me what parameter influence the network diameter for RSTP?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Good day.

There is no such strict limit for RSTP, cos it uses different mechanics for convergence. But when choosing ring diameter with RSTP you should balance the ring size against convergence time, and take in the consideration possibility of creation temporary loops during RSTP reconvergence over the ring topology (race condition).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Good day.

There is no such strict limit for RSTP, cos it uses different mechanics for convergence. But when choosing ring diameter with RSTP you should balance the ring size against convergence time, and take in the consideration possibility of creation temporary loops during RSTP reconvergence over the ring topology (race condition).

Hi Moongoolioo

Thanks for your quick response. In the graph you sent me, there are many line that represent different value (10, 50, 100, 500....). Can you explaine me what those line are representing?

Thanks, have a nice day.

This is theoretical number of BPDU processed every second by the bridge (different performance). For real life its recommended to base calculations on values between 50 and 10 BPDUs per second (so i will at least use as reference pink line on graph)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: