Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP on non cisco switch and PVSTP on cisco switch

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Due to urgent needs, i have temporary connected 2x separate non-cisco switches (edge switch) to my cisco 2960x which is acting as the core switch through separate trunk ports. The non-cisco switches only allow me to choose the option of STP, RSTP and MSTP for spanning-tree protocol while the cisco switch allows me the option of pvst (per vlan spanning tree) and rapid-pvst. I have made my non-cisco switch to point to my cisco 2960x as the root bridge for all vlans. Would there be any issues if my non-cisco switch is on RSTP while my cisco 2960x is on rpvst? There was an incident where i couldn't access internet via the edge switches (non-cisco) but could do so from the core switch. It was resolved after i rebooted my edge switches (non-cisco). I do not see anything peculiar from the logs on my cisco 2960x and my non-cisco edge switches. Is there anything that i can use to monitor if there is any issue in the connectivity between my non-cisco edge switches and cisco 2960x? TIA!

1 Reply 1

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
No Guy, there wouldnt problem is your non-cisco switch run through RSTP and your cisco swich run through rpvst, you need define the root brid in your STP topology for good convergency.

check it for help: https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-network-architecture/pvst-and-rstp/td-p/431284

Good lucky.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card