Views
Helpful
Replies

running config vs startup

kudachkin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Smb can answer - how i can replace running config on startup config comlpitly? withou reload cisco. I can't use copy startup runnig config - it is not correct.

Snks.

13 Replies 13

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Running configuration is stored on the RAM, while startup configuration is stored on the NVRAM, you can use "copy run start", note that the running configuration reflects the configuration that the router is using while it is running now, if you copy it to startup the router will use this same configuration at reload, you don't need to reload the router as the configuration you have stored in start-up is the configuration which the router is already using now, please correct me if i understood your question in a wrong way.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Clear definition provided by Mohammed.

To copy the currently running active configuration to NVRAM, i.e., to save a changed running configuration to the startup configuration so it will be used the next time you reload the router, use the following command:

Router#copy running-config startup-config

This command loads the startup configuration stored in NVRAM into RAM and makes it the active running configuration.

Router#copy startup-config running-config

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

No, i mean.

When u have in startup

fa0/0

ip add 10.x.x.x 255.x.x.x

and in running

fa0/0

description testtest

ip add 12.x.x.x 255.x.x.x

and u use copy startup running.

u have in running

fa0/0

description testtest

ip add 12.x.x.x 255.x.x.x

but i nead have

fa0/0

ip add 10.x.x.x 255.x.x.x

Hi,

Its ok you can do it with no need to reload the router as i've explained earlier.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

No...

I mean when i change smth in running config, I can't abort change , if i use copy startup runnig

Hi,

Ok, if you want to restore only something from the startup configuration and not to replace the whole configuration, you can do show startup-config, and just copy the intended configuration and copy and paste them in the current configuration and here you are they will be present in the running configuration, i hope that i've got you right this time.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Yes. U right. I can replace thing both in running and startup - like ip add x.x.x.x x.x.x.x. But if thing be in runing and not be in startup - after copy startup running we have thing in runnig.

SMTH like

description

Yuri

I understand what you are asking is the ability to do a complete replacement of the running config with the content of the startup config. Unfortunately the only way to do that is to reload. The architecture of IOS does not allow a complete replacement while it is running.

Perhaps it will be helpful to understand that the behavior of copy is different depending on which direction it is copying. If you are copying from running to startup then it is a complete replacement. But if you are copying from startup to running then it is not a complete replacement but is an overlay. And you are right that if the running config has a description on an interface and the startup does not, when you copy from startup to running the description will still be there. That is just how IOS works.

The only way that I know of to get what you are asking for is to manually build a config file that will copy some elements from startup to put into running (which replace existing elements - like IP addresses) and then manually put in statements to remove things from running that you no longer want to have there. It is not automated, and I know that is part of what you want. But it is the only way that I know of to get the result that you want.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Nice explaination as always :) i think that i've answered with nearly the same work around in my last post, but i think that your words should clear the fog in front of the original poster, i can't tell you how glade is it to have you around :)

I've also came across this feature a while ago, what do you think about it Rick:

Configuration Replace and Configuration Rollback

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a0080356ea5.html

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Rick,

This was really very nice explanation.

Thanks

Kamlesh

configure replace nvram:startup-config list

This thing is real solve my problem.

Sanks a lot.

Hi,

The feature is documented as "Configuration Replace and Configuration Rollback"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080454f8c.html

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

thomas.anthony
Level 1
Level 1

do a " wr mem "

which will copy ur run to start up..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: