Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running Configuration Conversion to TFTP

Hello Experts,

Sorry for the poor headline.

Can someone tell me if its possible to convert a running config into a TFTP format without a TFTP Server?

Basically, I'm connected to a virtual lab where the administrators won't allow its members to connect to TFTP Servers. Therefore, I was wondering if I could convert a running config into TFTP format? If that's possible I would then send the file to the device via a hyperterminal or SecureCRT.

Cheers

Carlton

7 Replies 7

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Carlton,

TFTP transfers the file as text. Can you telnet into the router? If so, the easiest way is to do the following:

term leng 0

sh run

Then copy all of the lines of your config and save them to a text file.

HTH,

John

Please rate helpful posts...

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi Blakley,

I thought tftp servers transfer for the files in a particular format over port 69?

I'm not sure transfering a txt file to a router would pick up all the configurations? For example, there are certain modes I would need to be in and txt file may not recognise the mode. e.g. if I were in interface config mode and I needed to be in vlan interface configuration mode I don't think the router would pick it up.

I will check it out.

Cheers

The protocol itself runs over port 69, like FTP runs over 21, but it doesn't change the format of the file itself. You can send the file to a tftp server with whatever filename you want to send it as, but it's still plain text.

When you copy the text file to the router, assuming you're copying over startup-config, then you'll type:

copy tftp://192.168.1.1/backup.txt startup

It will ask you if you want to overwrite the startup-config file. What the file looks like inside is something like this:

!

interface Fastethernet0/0

ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254

!

!

access-list 10 permit 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255

!

!

The router knows how to parse the information for your config modes, etc.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

J.Blakely,

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.

Cheers mate.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
running config into a TFTP format without a TFTP Server?

There is no such thing as a "TFTP format".  You need a TFTP server to transfer files from your appliance to your PC client.

For example, when you do the command "sh run | redirect tftp:///filename.txt" the appliance will copy the running-config into your TFTP server as the file you've specified, i.  e.  "filename.txt".

Now, if you are using Windows, the you FIRST have to open this file using any other word processing EXCEPT Notepad.  You can open using Wordpad.  The reason is because Notepad cannot "see" or "understand" the unix carriage return.  If you open using Wordpad and then click "Save", then this file can now be opened using Notepad.

Thanks again mate

No worries mate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card