cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV345 routing, why does cisco do nothing?

ferdinando.alde
Level 1
Level 1

I wonder if Cisco exists for small routers or is interested only in the assistance of big ones.

They have in production a router that does not work and it seems that those who bought it are abandoned with an unusable "piece of iron". Which, however, was paid based on the specifics of operation.
Seen from the customer's side, it looks like a scam. Truly incredible.

The flaw is the lack of return from static routes ... it does not seem to me a marginal problem, but a real firmware defect.

And no solution news can be read.
What should I do? Change producer hoping for greater seriousness?
And throw away the RV345P ......

49 Replies 49

You have set a static route on the RV345 to an external network, with the next hop being an IP address on your local LAN. I don't see how this is supposed to work, other than that the Open VPN server has a direct connection to that network.

Draw up the full path from 192.168.12.100 to 192.168.132.100.

The problem for sure is not the RV345 router, as a static route simply forwards all traffic.

No Georg, the NUC has two connections: 192.168.12.1-254 and
192.168.61.129-130, so it has direct access to subnet 61, in fact the
traceroute from 12.100 to 132.100 says:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.12.1

2 1 ms * 1 ms NUC [192.168.12.12]

3 28 ms 13 ms 15 ms 192.168.61.1

4 15 ms 15 ms 13 ms 192.168.138.1

5 15 ms 15 ms 16 ms FERDINANDO [192.168.132.100]

where the router follows the route to the NUC then the subnet 61 is
addressed to 132.

This route, which is now on an RV325, works great and I have full access to
the 192.168.132.100 disks.

On the RV345 the tracert is identical, but later, I have no access to the
disks.

>From this test I decided that the RV345 router does not work, but the setup
is perfect. Otherwise it would not even work with the current router which,
as I already wrote, I have to return.

HI Georg,

this is my current network. The internet connection is made with 2 WAN with static IP in load balance.

There is also an IP-Sec VPN.

Nando

Hello,

I think the problem is simply that the RV345 has no support for OpenVPN, it does not have an option to create an OpenVPN client certificate.

The RV325 starting with firmware 1.3.1.10 does have OpenVPN support.

So the problem is not with the static routing. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that if you require OpenVPN support for your new site, the RV345 won't work.

Hi Georg,

NO. The OpenVPN support is made by the NUC. The RV345 is out of this
support.

and the routing problem is also present with port forwarding. The answer
does not come back .... so it does not work. In the specific case it is the
request for access to a security camera.

And even in this case with the RV325 it works perfectly.

IPsec VPN works very well because it is not based on the routing process

Nando

I hope that the new firmware will also fix the static routing, in fact I'm
changing my OpenVPN to an IPsec VPN, but this RV345P even with the problem
of forwarding remains unusable. I was counting on better quality of Cisco
products, but I'm changing my mind. Even if the RV325 had problems I would
have been convinced that it was the fault of my network, but this setup
works perfectly also with an Ubiquity router, so the problem is certainly
right in the RV345P.

Hello,

you have the latest firmware installed already (1.0.01.17).

Is the hop count/metric the same for the static route on both routers ?

It is of course always a possibility that you have a defective device. Where did you purchase the router ? And do you have a Service Contract ?

Hi Georg,

yes, the metric is the same.

I bought this router a couple of weeks ago and I have an invoice.

Nando

The main difference between the RV325 and the RV345 is that the latter has a firewall. Is that disabled on your model ?

Also, resetting the router to factory defaults might be worth a try...

--> To reset the router to factory default settings, press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds

Hi Georg,

I tried to reset the router to factory during the search for solution .. and
the setup for thr firewall is the same for either router.

I also tried to disable firewall, without differences.

Nando

Hello

@ferdinando.alde wrote:

I wonder if Cisco exists for small routers or is interested only in the assistance of big ones.

They have in production a router that does not work and it seems that those who bought it are abandoned with an unusable "piece of iron". Which, however, was paid based on the specifics of operation.
Seen from the customer's side, it looks like a scam. Truly incredible.

The flaw is the lack of return from static routes ... it does not seem to me a marginal problem, but a real firmware defect.

And no solution news can be read.
What should I do? Change producer hoping for greater seriousness?
And throw away the RV345P ......

What is it your ow happy with? -  Can you elaborate?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Paul,

there is an OpenVPN server connected to one of the switchports on the RV345 with IP address 192.168.12.12. A static route is configured on the RV345 to redirect traffic destined to 192.169.132..0 (which is the remote end of the VPN) to 192.168.12.12. The problem is: a ping to e.g 192.168.132.100 works, but nothing else. Something is blocking the return traffic (SMB on Windows).

The exact same setup works perfectly on an RV325. We have looked at about anything possible, no luck so far... 

If a static route is added locally (route add 192.168.132.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.12.12), which means effectively circumventing the static route configured on the RV345, it works fine.

Hello

So all three devices have interfaces on the same subnet, With the 345 router performing the routing with a static route 192.168.132.100 255.255.255.255 192.168.12.12  ?

192.168.132.100 is a far end vpn destination address originating from 192.168.12.12 ?

To me first instincts suggest the server, you maybe be able to ping ( i am assuming sourced from 192168.12.0 subnet ?) due to the server having dual nics. ----However SMB issues is layer 7 so that isn't routing its application related - what’s mode is the router running as?

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

the static route is 192.168.132.0 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.12.12.

The ping is generated from 192.168.12.100 to 192.168.132.100 and is
positive, but no application is rotated. With the RV325 everything works
perfectly, but I have to give it back. I (unfortunately) I have an RV345P.

Nando

Hello
Can you elaborate on how your trying to connect - via what method? Http - htttps - telnet- ssh etc..

Res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card