Views
Helpful
Replies

Rx-No-Pkt-Buff - oversubscription WS-X4548-GB-RJ45

Jeroen Huysmans
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the counter Rx-No-Pkt-Buff on module WS-X4548-GB-RJ45. We have a Supervisor Engine IV in this WS-C4506 chassis.

I know this card has 6 portgroups in which members share 1Gbps throughput.

I'm seeing inpunt errors on 2 interfaces which correspond 1:1 with the Rx-No-Pkt-Buff counter. The device connected to these 2 ports is a Cisco 3020 switch in an HP Blade enclosure.

Gi6/43

101 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

Port         Rx-No-Pkt-Buff     RxPauseFrames    TxPauseFrames   PauseFramesDrop
Gi6/43                  101                 0                0                 0

Gi6/44

78 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

Port         Rx-No-Pkt-Buff     RxPauseFrames    TxPauseFrames   PauseFramesDrop
Gi6/44                   78                 0                0                 0

My guess: the port-group is oversubscribed...

However, only 2 ports in this port-group are in use: 6/43 and 6/44. Both are configured as etherchannel members (which is probably not a good idea because they share the same asic).

According to my graphing (cacti, 1 minute polling) both ports do not generate a total of 1Gbps. CLI output confirms the graphs.

How can I troubleshoot this further? Why is the Rx-No-Pkt-Buff increasing while we don't exceed 1Gbps of bandwidth in this group?

I'm aware this linecard is "probably" not the best to use to connect a Blade enclosure ("designed for gigabit to the desktop"), but I'm just trying to understand why we see this errors...

regards,

Jeroen

1 Reply 1

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think you have a pretty good handle on it .  Seeing that you basically have a whole server farm (bladecenter) plugged into those ports it's probably being overrun .  I would change ports in your port channel  or try running a 4 port etherchannel  with 2 of the ports on a completely different card. If those statistics are on ports that have never had the stats cleared that really isn't a lot and is probably not a reason for concern.  Clear the ports and watch it for a week , if it's just a few I probably wouldn't worry about it and just occasionally revisit it specially if you are getting slow performance complaints.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card