cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Same IP and MAC address in same network.....

Ranajitnath7
Level 1
Level 1

I am in beginning in CCNA... My teacher told me that, In one network Same IP or Same MAC ID not connect in network.... But its working ..... If i get your response, i can show you..... Sorry, For my bad english....   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ben Gartland
Level 1
Level 1

It may look like it works in a small lab, but trust what you're told, it does not work.  

It WILL cause error messages on devices with duplicate addresses.

As soon as you try sending traffic between hosts:
It WILL cause switching and routing problems on your network.
It WILL cause packet loss on your network.

Regards,

Ben

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ben Gartland
Level 1
Level 1

It may look like it works in a small lab, but trust what you're told, it does not work.  

It WILL cause error messages on devices with duplicate addresses.

As soon as you try sending traffic between hosts:
It WILL cause switching and routing problems on your network.
It WILL cause packet loss on your network.

Regards,

Ben

I can also use PACKET GENERATER... But there are no losses in send ICMP pakages....    If you want i can send you .PKT file...... 

But it also use for network clone, that is one types of hacking.... Then ??? Security Problem ?

PFA.......

Wireshark can't open that .pkt file for some reason.

If you try this with real equipment, 2 LAN hosts and a switch, you will see all sorts of issues.  Not only duplicate IP addresses, but the switch will not know how to direct the frames as the same source MAC will be see on 2 different interfaces.

In a "structured laptop build" we had at one time, IBM had changed the Ethernet driver; but the techs merrily continued as before.  Builds worked, Ethernet connectivity worked (apparently).

However, they would randomly disconnect.  Turns out using the wrong Ethernet driver wound up giving all workstations of that model the SAME MAC address.  As long as they were on different subnets, there was no apparent issue; but having several on the same one led to all sorts of mysterious/random disconnections.  When it happened, the user would reboot, and ANOTHER (with the same MAC) would lose connectivity.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card