Views
Helpful
Replies

Same MAC on 2 Different Devices?

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Hello:

Is it possible to have two separate servers with the same MAC address?

I have 2 separate switches that have the same MAC address on an access port in the same VLAN. The MACs belong to 2 different Sun stations. Or could this be the same machine and the same NIC with two active connections to 2 separate switches?? The description on the ports dont suggest that, but that may mean nothing at all.

Thanks!

Sw2#sh mac-address-table | in GigabitEthernet3/3
450    0014.4f41.3b8e   dynamic ip                    GigabitEthernet3/3

interface GigabitEthernet4/18
description v08k410-ipmp1 15102 021110 mm
switchport access vlan 450
speed 1000
duplex full
end

========================================================================

Sw1#sh mac-address | in GigabitEthernet4/18
450    0014.4f41.3b8e   dynamic ip                    GigabitEthernet4/18

interface GigabitEthernet3/3
description v08k410-ipmp2 15102 031210 mm

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IT is possible when both interface go to the same physical client.  Have you verified visually?

Do you mean that one machine can have a NIC with 2 active connections to 2 different switches? Is that what youre implying may be the problem?

I'm not saying that this is your problem but I've seen some cases where two NICS come from the same Sun client sport ONE common MAC address.  In some cases, only one MAC address is used and the other acts "dumb".

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello:

Is it possible to have two separate servers with the same MAC address?

I have 2 separate switches that have the same MAC address on an access port in the same VLAN. The MACs belong to 2 different Sun stations. Or could this be the same machine and the same NIC with two active connections to 2 separate switches?? The description on the ports dont suggest that, but that may mean nothing at all.

Thanks!

Sw2#sh mac-address-table | in GigabitEthernet3/3
450    0014.4f41.3b8e   dynamic ip                    GigabitEthernet3/3

interface GigabitEthernet4/18
description v08k410-ipmp1 15102 021110 mm
speed 1000
duplex full
end

========================================================================

Sw1#sh mac-address | in GigabitEthernet4/18
450    0014.4f41.3b8e   dynamic ip                    GigabitEthernet4/18

interface GigabitEthernet3/3
description v08k410-ipmp2 15102 031210 mm

Hi,

It can be possible that sun server two NIC are connected with two different swiches ports and at SUN server end teaming would be configured with ACTIVE/ACTIVE fashion.That can also be the reason mac is getting learned from both the switches.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

SW1 and SW2 may be connected back-to-back using access ports in VLan 450 ( rather than using a Trunk)

Thanks, folks.

Quick question, though.

This kind of error message is typically seen when there is a bridging loop. I dont think there is one given all the info I have shown you. However, how does one go about finding out if an intermittent bridging loop is occurring throughout the day? What forensice are available? In other words, how does one rule out or rule in, for that matter, that a bridging loop has occurred?

Thanks

Hi

The best way to determine the same are through the following error messages on your switch logs

i) %STANDBY-3-DUPADDR: Duplicate address

ii) %MAC_MOVE-SP-4-NOTIF: Host   ---> Between Hosts

iii) High CPU on the devices

All the above state that there is a loop in your network and STP was not able to take action on the same.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: