cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

same vlan on multiple switches

craig.rozewski
Level 1
Level 1

i am VERY new to switch programming, but i am attempting to migrate 40+ cameras off of a 4507R Catalyst switch to a 2960x. they are all programmed to be on 80 vlan, and the 4507 has switchport mode access, with switchport access vlan 80 set. on the new 2960, i want to set access to vlan 80 as well to migrate all the cameras to it without having to reprogram all the cameras. but when i tried to uplink the new switch it tanked my network. i have similar settings on the 2960, swport access, and swport acc vl 80, with the uplink trunked as well as my main core trunked. the ip addresses assigned to both the 4507 and the 2960 are different for telnet purposes. is this set up possible, and what am i missing?

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...tried to uplink the new switch it tanked my network

- What do you mean by that in network technical terms ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I agree with @marce1000 that we do not have enough detail to understand the problem and to provide helpful suggestions.

If you connected the switches and it tanked the network, my first guess (based on zero real information) would be that there was some layer 2 loop created.

I am interested in the comment that the uplink was trunked. So far there has been discussion on only one vlan. So why is there a trunk?

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card