Helpful
Replies

Samples of Redundant 6509 Core Routers

greggswitzer
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for a good configuration sample for our network core. We have dual

6509 switches. Just upgraded one switch to native IOS only. Plan to move

all network devices to this when it is ready. The second(current production 6509)

is still running IOS/CatOS. Will upgrade it to native IOS and connect to live network.

Want to utilize HSRP to provide complete redundancy in the core.

Anyone have a good "up to date" 6509 configuration they can share?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gregg

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HSRP is very straightforward to configure but very hard to troubleshoot. I find this document very useful

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094afd.shtml

since not only describes some configuration options you may use but also how to fix HSRP related issues.

Regards,

Edison

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

That is quite a request.

Are you only interested in HSRP?

There are many more things to consider for Core redundancy.

For HSRP do you wish to load balance the 6500 switches or just make them strictly active/passive?

If you want them to load balance then you have to consider VLAN priorities and HSRP priorities.

Thanks for the reply. I am interested in any way to build a redundant

core. Yes, I would like to load share between them.

I currently have about a dozen active VLAN's. The 6509's are configured

as the root bridge, with one primary, and the other the secondary.

HSRP is what I am familiar with, the 6509's where configured that way the

last ten years. Just want to make sure their is not a better way to do it that

I do not know about.

Thank You.

For L2, I recommend sharing the STP Root function between the Cores. Assign the STP Root to one router to half of the Vlans and STP Root to the other router for the remaining Vlans. If you have one router as primary for all Vlans, all L2 traffic will go just to that router - regardless of your HSRP setting.

Regards,

Edison.

The better way to do it (in my opinion) is put in VSS supervisor engines and get rid of HSRP & STP blocked ports altogether

Other than that, what Edison says. Split HSRP active and STP root between the vlans making sure HSRP & root are the same switch for any given vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card