Views
Helpful
Replies

Secodary IP with different netmask

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

Forgive my basic question!

I am migrating several networks into one.  As a part of doing this I want to have little to no disruption of service.  I am taking 5 SVI's and collapsing the networks into 1

VLAN 80 will be the one standing SVI with a /21

In each of the other SVI's, 81, 83, 85, and 87 each has a /23

Can I set up the secondary IP in the following"

Interface VLAN 80

ip address 192.168.80.1 255.255.248.0

ip address 192.168.81.1 255.255.254.0 secondary

ip address 192.168.83.1 255.255.254.0 secondary

ip address 192.168.85.1 255.255.254.0 secondary

ip address 192.168.87.1 255.255.254.0 secondary

The question is, does the netmask need to match the primary or can I use the netmasks as configured in the example above?  This will allow users who have the default-gateway configured statically to not have to change it night of cut.

Thanks,

Rick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rick

There is no requirement for the netmask of a secondary address to match the netmask of the primary address. So from that perspective you have no problem with what you suggest.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rick

There is no requirement for the netmask of a secondary address to match the netmask of the primary address. So from that perspective you have no problem with what you suggest.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

As always Rick, thanks for the assistance.  I could not find anything witha quick search and have never set it up that way before.  I figured it could be done but wanted someone much smarter than me to set me straight!

Thank you!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Rick has also posted, secondary IP address masks don't have to match the primary IP address mask, but what you're doing, overlapping the interface address space, is just looking for issues.  I would suggest you migrate to a new non-overlapping address block.

I also wonder, you really want a single VLAN with a /21?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card