Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary VLAN IP

bgtabudlo
Level 1
Level 1

Scenario:

Our network is divided into VLANs for every floor of our building, Cisco 3750 being the core switch and Linksys SGE2000 as edge switches to every floor.

Manage IP for the switches is 192.168.200.0/24

The IP at the 10th floor is 192.168.10.0/24, gateway is 192.168.10.1

IP of 6th floor is 192.168.6.0/24, gateway is 192.168.6.1

Question is, can I use the IP network of the 10th floor as the secondary IP of the 6th floor?

Your expert opinion is highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

5 Replies 5

lessaid.a
Level 1
Level 1

You can add the secondary ip of the 6th floor on the interface vlan of the 10th floor but why ?

You just have to add on each vlan an ip address, the Core ( as the default gw I guess ) will do the routing between the vlans.

Ok sorry for not expounding my scenario

The reason why i want to add the IP of the 10th floor is that i want to have a PC (coming from 10th) which will be used for the training at the 6th flr.

Why retain the IP of the 10th?

- because I want the gateway ( Pfsense) to access the internet to be the same as that from the 10th flr. The gateway IP of the Pfsense is 192.168.10.220, different from the VLAN GW IP of the core switch.

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There's no reason as long as you have routing on your core switch. It will route between the two vlans....

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

pjmonline
Level 1
Level 1

can you not just change the vlan assigned to the port on the 6th floor to that of the 10th floor so it will pull an ip address from the 10th floor dhcp pool? As long as the linksys supports vlan trunking and assigning a vlan per port.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Meaning i will combine VLANs 6th and 10th into one. Thus making the configured IPs of both 10th and 6th into 1 VLAN?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card