cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

secrete printer

Mary
Level 1
Level 1

a have one network printer inside manager 's room, now every one can send print job to that printer. IP: 10.50.2.3

I want to restricit only two associate managers (in aother building) and manager it self can print to that printer. if someone else try to print, it should say: connection refused, can this be done? thanks

2 Replies 2

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I guess it should be possible to configure some ACL restricting traffic between the printer and the rest of the network.

Is it within the same VLAN as the users?

Which switch model is it connected to?

Does it need any connection to other devices (like DHCP servers, file servers, DNS servers, print servers, etc.)?

I guess the safest way would be to configure a SPAN port mirroring the printer port, connect a PC with Wireshark running and capture packets during a standard print.

This way you should be able to find which devices the printer is connecting to and tune the ACL finally.

But maybe the easiest way would be to configure the printer authorization through your printing system (print server or AD possibly)?

Best regards,

Milan

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

Do you KNOW how the other users are getting to the printer?  If they print directly by IP address, then ACL's is the direction to look.  If they all print via a Windows print server, then user permissions would be the way to go.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card