cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure guest access over multiple access points

oxford001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have a SG200 switch and 4 x WAP121 Access Points.

I'm looking to setup a normal network but also a guest network with the APs transmitting the two SSIDs at the same time. The guest network just needs internet access but must not give any access to computers, NAS drives etc. on the main network. The guest network does though need full coverage of all the 4 APs.

I've read that this is possible by using two VLANs. I can get two SSIDs from the access points but the guest network doesn't have internet access. The WAP121 guide mentions that it doesn't allow access to wireless devices on the 2nd VLAN but does give access to hard wired devices which isn't right for me.

The router I'm using is a normal Hub5 provided by BT. This could be my draw back.

I wonder if anyone can give any advice on this setup, which router I need, which setting I need.

Many thanks.

M

1 Reply 1

Paul Chapman
Level 4
Level 4

Hi -

You will need 2 VLANs configured on your SG200 to support this.  If the SG200 is your only VLAN capable switch, then the APs will need to be directly connected to it.  The uplink ports will need to be configured as trunks so that both VLANs can be transmitted.  From the SG to your firewall, you will likely  need 2 connections, 1 in each VLAN.  Basically, guest users will need to go into a DMZ on your firewall to allow them internet access without allowing access to your internal systems.

PSC

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card