Views
Helpful
Replies

Selecting switches for gigabit

na2005lib
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I need to connect around 70 computers to gigabit network ports. Although I am not a networks person, unfortunately I have to select and buy the switching equipment necessary (don't ask how I got into this trouble).

What our networks people gave me as requirements was that they wanted Cisco switches with SC fiber uplinks. The backbone of our network is 100mbit, but the switches delivering network to computers are 10Mbit.

I came up with the following as the cheapest alternative:

a 2970G-24TS, with a GLC-GE-FX (100FX) module plus 1 GLC-T (1000baseT) module linked via the 1000baseT sfp to a 2948G-GE-TX (configured with one 1000baseT nodule)

Other options:

3x 2970G-24TS, interconnected via 1000baseT sfps, and one 100FX sfp to connect them to the rest of the network

or (the most expensive option), use 3560 series switches (1x24, 1x48, interconnected with 1000baseT and linked to the rest of the network via a 100baseFX port on the first switch).

Which of the three is preferable? If the first option is OK, am I losing important features by using a 2948-series switch?

and another couple of novice questions:

a)are 1000baseT sfp ports downwards compatible with 10/100baseT?

b)If I use a 1000BaseSX sfp module, will I be able to connect to the existing 100FX infrastructure?

Thanks in advance and please excuse if anything seems too stupid.

1 Reply 1

mklaphek
Level 1
Level 1

I won't make a recommendation on the switches, but I'll answer your questions:

1. Copper connection are usually negotiable to different speeds, so that shouldn't be an issue.

2. Fiber connections aren't, so you need to buy the right types to connect to.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card