cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

set ip next-hop verify-availability.. C3560 support?

dal
Level 3
Level 3

Will we ever see this command supported in C3650's?

I'm trying to make VoIP traffic take another route than the rest of the traffic, and route-maps is the way to go (?).

But adding route-maps with set ip next-hop but without verify-availability seems.. not responsible to me since it does not fail over if the connection the VoIP uses goes down.

Is there a way around this?

I'm rather happy with the functions in my C3560's, but this command is really missed.

Is there a possibility to have this added? I mean, other next-hop commands are already in there.

Is there a place to request things like this?

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dal,

if the verify-availability is not supported (as it was some years ago on all platforms) your only choice is to take advantage of autostate:

an SVI is up/up until at least one L2 port is in STP forwarding state for the associated vlan.

You need to redesign your network so that the PBR next-hop is in a separate vlan with only one L2 port associated to it.

After this, if the port fails the SVI goes down and the switch detects that the next-hop is not reachable anymore.

Other thought: for VoIP traffic you may want to consider to use VRF lite to keep it separated from data network.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add to GIuseppe's post -

You need to redesign your network so that the PBR next-hop is in a separate vlan with only one L2 port associated to it.

this also means that you if you have any trunk links on the switch you would need to make sure that the vlan is cleared off these trunks as well so it really only applies the one L2 port.

Jon

I thank you for your answers, but having the one VLAN to one physical port will be very difficult in my setup.

I have already started using VRF-Lite for some of my VoIP traffic, but how will this walk around the lack of verify-availability? If you have two routes to one physical location and prefer the VoIP traffic to take another route than the rest AND you want failover on all traffic, route-maps must still be used I guess?

But I was thinking of using (for me, the newly discovered) EMM to solve this: Since I use tracking for the verifiy-availability setup, I can make a applet saying something like this:

IF detected in syslog: rtr 1 reachability Up->Down

THEN

action "enable"

action "interface VLAN 640"

action "no ip policy route-map VoIP-Map"

action "end"

This should be possible yes?

Now, if I only could find the right syntax for this script, and how to run it!

Thanks again.

dal@alesund.kommune.no

I thank you for your answers, but having the one VLAN to one physical port will be very difficult in my setup.

I have already started using VRF-Lite for some of my VoIP traffic, but how will this walk around the lack of verify-availability? If you have two routes to one physical location and prefer the VoIP traffic to take another route than the rest AND you want failover on all traffic, route-maps must still be used I guess?

But I was thinking of using (for me, the newly discovered) EMM to solve this: Since I use tracking for the verifiy-availability setup, I can make a applet saying something like this:

IF detected in syslog: rtr 1 reachability Up->Down

THEN

action "enable"

action "interface VLAN 640"

action "no ip policy route-map VoIP-Map"

action "end"

This should be possible yes?

Now, if I only could find the right syntax for this script, and how to run it!

Thanks again.

Yes it should be possible as i believe the 3560 switch now supports EEM although you may need to upgrade your IOS. For all things EEM post into the "Network Mangement" forum under "Network Infrastructure". There is a Cisco expert called Joe Clarke who knows all about EEM and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Jon

Ok, very nice!

I thank you for your help.

I just wish the next-hop verify-availability command just could be put back in, it would make life much easier

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card