cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

'set port description' command in CatOS 8.4

hwon
Level 1
Level 1

We've upgraded to CatOS 8.4 to get ssh few month ago. I haven't noticed until now that there is a 'set port description' command. It still has 'set port name' command to name the ports, but not sure what 'set port description' command does. Looked for the command in the Cisco reference guide and the command is missing from the list.

For one, it doesn't change the port name as 'set port name' does. I suspect it could supply port information for snmp polls. Anyone know what this command is for?

2 Replies 2

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hmmm, interesting.

I looked it up in the command lookup tool and nothing comes back.

Found a reference to it here which to me says its the same as the "set port name" command but as you say it doesn't work!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a0080094713.shtml

Rgds

PJD

dan.gregoire
Level 1
Level 1

I found out some more information on the set port description from one of our switches running 8.4(3). You can see the output from "show port description". Just from what I can see the set name has a limitation of 21 characters, port description has a limitation of 64 characters. So if you have to input description of more than 21 characters you can use the set port description instead of set port name.

Then you can review the decriptions from the output of show port description.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card