cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set port vlan on 6509 running in vtp client mode

rwillman483
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working at a company that has several 6509 switches running CatOS.  They have two of the 6509's running in vtp server mode and the rest as clients.  I set up a new vlan from one of the vtp servers and it propagated out.  The problem comes when I try to assign a port on one of the vtp clients to this new vlan.  It gives me an error that the switch must be in vtp server mode to add/delete vlans.  I'm not trying to add/or delete a vlan just trying to add a port into an existing vlan.  I'm hesitant to put the switch in vtp server mode.  Is this a CatOS thing or is there a specific command to accomplish this?             

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Just want to check the command you are using.

To put port 3/1 on vlan 7

set vlan 7 3/1

Using the command

set port vlan 3/1 is a vlan-mapping command

part of the vlan translation function

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

This sounds like your VTP is just not working correctly on that switch. If you do a "show vlan" do you see the VLAN you are trying to assign to the port?

If you do not check your VTP configuration using the "show vtp domain" command and ensure you vtp domain name and password are a match (they are both case sensitive). If that all looks goo try setting the device to transparent mode and then back to client to try and force it to pickup the VTP database.

Also be aware that VTP must have an unbroken chain of functional members connected together by trunks. if an upstream switch is configured wrong, updates will not propagate though it.

Best Regards,

Greg

VTP looks good.  It is showing the VLAN and correct domain.

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Just want to check the command you are using.

To put port 3/1 on vlan 7

set vlan 7 3/1

Using the command

set port vlan 3/1 is a vlan-mapping command

part of the vlan translation function

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Thank you Alex.  That was it.  I was using the set port vlan command.  I haven't work with CatOS before.  I hope I gave you the highest rating.  I'm not on the forums often so let me know if I didn't.

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

As suggested above try the below command to assign the port in a vlan

set vlan 10 6/6

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card