cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

set power levels for POE

D06101957
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know the command for setting the power levels on the switch ports of a 2960 Catalyst POE switch.  It is running Version 12.2(55)SE5 IOS.  Thanks, Dennis                  

3 Replies 3

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks guys, I think I have it now.  When I do a #show power inline, all the ports say auto.  When I plug something in and the port light goes green and I do a #show power inline, it will read auto on all ports except the one where it has something plugged in, and there it says 7700 and a class number, usually 0 or 3.

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dennis,

Here is the link to POE for interfaces on your 2960/12.2.55SE5 switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swint.html#wp2047530

!

int fas x/xx

power inline

Step 3 

power inline {auto [max max-wattage] | never | static [max max-wattage]}

Configure the PoE mode on the port. The keywords have these meanings:

auto—Enable powered-device detection. If enough power is available, automatically allocate power to the PoE port after device detection. This is the default setting.

(Optional) max max-wattage—Limit the power allowed on the port. The range is 4000 to 15400 milliwatts on a Catalyst 2960 switch and 4000 to 30000 milliwatts on a Catalyst 2960-S switch. If no value is specified, the maximum is allowed.

never—Disable device detection, and disable power to the port.

Note If a port has a Cisco powered device connected to it, do not use the power inline never command to configure the port. A false link-up can occur, placing the port into an error-disabled state.

static—Enable powered-device detection. Pre-allocate (reserve) power for a port before the switch discovers the powered device. The switch reserves power for this port even when no device is connected and guarantees that power will be provided upon device detection.

The switch allocates power to a port configured in static mode before it allocates power to a port configured in auto mode.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card